Tuesday 28 June 2016

A simple gesture: A single yellow rose





To say it has been a strange time to be living in the United Kingdom is a real understatement.  I will not go anymore into my views regarding the EU Referendum.  It is what it is and I am trying to get my own mind wrapped around what all it implies.  I know that people who voted leave did it for a vast variety of reasons.  If you asked 12 people on the street why they voted to leave, they would all give you a different reason.  I know that not everyone who voted leave hates foreigners.  But, for many the results have validated their racist beliefs and they feel it has given them the right to openly express their hate toward immigrants.  These are not just stories on the news.  I have friends who have experienced an increase in racial slanders being expressed to them since Thursday.   Personally, I have been going through a grieving process and my spirit has been crushed.


Monday morning as I woke up, instead of turning on the news or looking at social media, I prayed and read scripture.  Dear God, how do I respond to what is going on in this beautiful country I’ve called home for the past 13 years?  I’ve expressed my views on social media with little to no affect and mostly have been misunderstood.  So, I decided that instead of taking in any more negativity from the news or social media, I would go and make a positive difference.  I would do what Jesus has called me to do… to be His hands and feet.  What could I do to help make foreigners who are living or studying in the UK feel welcomed and accepted?  I’m only one person.  I can’t do much.  I can only reach out to so many people in the time I am given.  What can I do to make a positive difference?  How can I reflect the love of Jesus?


Then I believe God reminded me of the yellow rose.  For centuries it has been a symbol of friendship and welcome.  I chatted with Gary about what was running through my mind.  Monday is my normal day off of work when I catch up with chores around our tiny flat or do something completely different from work to recharge my batteries.  But, I was too distressed to do laundry or dusting.  I needed to do something positive to mend my broken heart and the heart of others around me.  


During lunch I purchased a pack of blank note cards and two dozen yellow roses.  As I slowly sipped my cup of tea in a café, I wrote in each of the cards what the yellow rose symbolises.  After I finished writing the last note, I prayed.  I felt a bit anxious.  How would people react?  Would they understand why I was doing it?  Would it just look like another cheesy American thing?  Would those walking past dislike what I was doing and threaten me?  Still, I had this deep conviction in my heart that this is what God wanted me to do.  Gary was not able to go with me because he had a meeting arranged with an author he is editing a book for.  I didn’t have time to organise a group and felt it was something I needed to do.  Gary and I both prayed that God would keep his hand of protection over me, that He would place the right people in my path and would use me to be a blessing to others.   More importantly we prayed that I would reflect the love of Jesus and those I spoke to would be drawn to Him.


At about1:30pm I set off to walk down the road near the English Conversation Café I recently helped my church open up a few weeks ago.  Still feeling a little jittery I walked down the street with my big bundle of yellow roses.  First I saw an East Asian lady.  As with each international person I spoke to, I simply took a few steps toward her and held a yellow rose out to her.  I said, can I give this rose to you?  She was a bit taken back as she gasped and asked “Why?”.  I said, the yellow rose stands for friendship and welcome.  England doesn’t seem very welcoming right now.  I want you to know that I value what you bring to this country.  Immediately, tears came to her eyes, she wrapped her arms around my neck and began to sob.  Through her sobs I heard her say, this has come at the perfect time.  She then stepped back and looked deeply into my eyes with tears streaming down her cheeks.  I felt a bit overwhelmed with this being my first encounter.  I handed her a card explaining more about the rose and and I told her she was always welcome to our English Conversation Café on Wednesday evenings.  


My next stop was the Polish Delicatessen where I had visited before and chatted with the shop owner about our English Conversation Café, so he knew me well.  Again, I gave him the yellow rose and shared its symbolism.  He smiled, reached out his hand to me and shook mine with tears welling up in his eyes.  I asked him to display the rose and card for all of his customers to see.  Then he offered me a Polish marmalade doughnut.  Possibly the most delicious doughnut I’ve ever eaten.  


As I approached the Middle Eastern grocers I prayed again.  Father, make me a blessing, help me not to be misunderstood.  As I walked past all of the vegetables and fruits imported from the East, many of which I did not recognise nor know how to cook with, and overheard customers speaking in other languages, I was greeted by the Middle Eastern man stocking the shelves.  Again I held the yellow rose in front of me and said, I value what you bring to this country.  He shook his head in amazement.  He asked if I wanted any money for the rose.  I said, no this is just in friendship.  In that moment he looked deep into my eyes with a warm smile, with one hand over his heart, he slipped the other hand into mine.  As we shook hands I felt the dry hard calluses on his hands that represented hard work.  


Next I walked into the tea shop across the street that sells teas from around the world.  As I waited for the shop keeper to come to the counter my senses were overwhelmed by the beautiful aroma coming from all the variety of tea leaves.  I shared the yellow rose with the shop keeper who I think was East European.  She exclaimed that many believe that immigrants take, take, take, but she said we contribute so much.  I smiled in agreement while she placed the yellow rose in a vase on the counter by the till.  


I walked to the Asian market near the mosque and asked God to help me meet a lady there.  As I entered I noticed the wife of the shop owner was at the counter.  I handed her the rose and gave my explanation. She seemed a bit suspicious of my motives.  But, she took the rose and the card.   As I left I prayed that she would know the love of Jesus.


Then I noticed an East European family standing at the bus stop.  I handed the yellow rose to the mother as I shared its meaning.  Her hand went over her heart, she tilted her head and gave me such a warm smile.  I explained my own experience as an immigrant and in that moment we crossed language and cultural barriers and understood each other’s hearts.


As I walked further down the street I noticed that even though there was a closed sign on the door to an Asian resturant, the door was open.  I felt prompted to step in and I stood by the counter.  There was a private party event going on and the restaurant was full of East Asian ladies.  The owner of the restaurant approached me and I said, I know the restaurant is closed but I want to give you this yellow rose, it symbolises friendship and welcome.  Before I could say much more, she brought me over to the group of ladies and asked them to listen to me.  I told a group of 35 or more ladies what the rose was for.  I told them I valued what they brought to this country.  We are all humans created and loved by God.  The room erupted in applause while several ladies walked up to me and gave me a hug and then I waved good bye.


Still feeling quite overwhelmed by the whole experience and pondering on how such a simple gesture can make such a huge positive impact, I then walked into the mini-Asian market.    A Filipino lady came to the counter holding her baby.  I handed her the yellow rose and asked her to display it for all of her customers to see.  I shared with her my own experience as an immigrant and that we all have value and purpose because God created us.  She seemed quite overwhelmed by this simple gesture.   As I walked away, waving, smiling and looking back over my shoulder, I saw her smile as she kept saying, “You are so kind.  God bless you!”


Yesterday I posted briefly about my experience and I've been overwhelmed by the response on facebook, the likes and shares.  I have shared my experience here not to draw attention to myself.  In all of this I want to bring Glory to God.  “..for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfil his good purpose.” Philippians 2:13.  I share it to inspire you and to remind you that it is in those simple gestures of kindness and friendship that make the biggest difference.  Many times we can feel parallelized by the thought of our limited resources or time.  Or we feel we cannot make that much of a difference so we do nothing at all.  May I encourage you to reach out to the international student on the bus, to the foreigner who works next to you in the office, to the family who lives a few houses down the street or the one serving you in the restaurant and let them know they are welcomed, accepted and more than that… loved by God.  


The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 19:34








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Anita. Such a great idea and a simple way to share the love. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, this is quite remarkable. God bless you richly for reaching out to those in our community. You never know what seeds you have sown in people's hearts and minds. Your description of that afternoon has brought tears to my eyes too and encouraged me to actively reach out to those who come from other lands.

    ReplyDelete