Thursday 7 September 2017

Through the Storm




I've been keeping a close eye on hurricane Irma. Thanks to online hurricane tracking websites, my computer screen has been filled with live radar images and hurricane data.  At moments I pretend to be a meterologist as I study the data and pradictions for the path of this storm.  Perhaps a different career in another life.

It is quite alarming to hear that this is the strongest storm in recorded history to hit the United States with wind strength up to 184 miles an hour.  A category 5 storm, the strongest in the ratings.  We've witnessed what Texas and Lousiana are still trying to recover from.  And we imagine how destructive it could be for Florida.  


Besides being fascinated with weather patterns, this storm has become quite personal to me. Presently it is sweaping through the Carribean Islands where I have friends bunkering down.  There is a little Bible college on the south east coast of Florida that is preparing even now to evacuate the campus.  


Hobe Sound Bible College and church will always hold a special place in my heart.  For my friends in England I often compare it to Moorlands College.  A small body of students compared to most colleges and universities, everyone knows each other and the staff and instructors are very invested in the individual lives of their students.  It was at Hobe Sound that I studied Missions and Cross-Cultural Evangelism.  I sat under the teaching of godly men and women like Dr Brown, G.R. French and Mrs B.  It was there that I settled in my heart to follow Jesus and make Him known among the nations.  I would often walk down Bridge road to the beach, sometimes with my class mates, sometimes on my own to look across the sea, to imagine where God would send me and to talk with Him.   



Unlike my small home town in North Carolina, this area of Florida is very diverse.  During my time at Hobe Sound I was involved in local ministries such as the Spanish Church, Chinese church and Belle Glade ministries.  This place prepared me for the international student ministry I'm involved in now here in Bournemouth, England.  I witnessed first hand there what it was like to have the world come to my doorstep.  Over the doorway leading out of our classroom was a sign that read, "You are now entering your mission field."

August through to late October is hurricane season.  Every year we encounter a storm.  The campus of Hobe Sound has faced many storms over the past 60 years.  But, this one is the most powerful.  As it sits on the east coast of Florida it is open and vulnerable to the strong winds and waves.  It touched my heart to see a photo of a sister college in Ohio praying protection over Hobe Sound Bible College during their morning chapel service.

Once hurricane Irma hits Florida it will become more clear what direction it may head.  Will it strengthen or weaken, will it move more eastward out into the ocean?  We hope, we pray.  One of it's predicted paths is to carry on through Georgie, South Carolina and into my home state of North Carolina where my father lives.  This is of great concern to me as I know his health is so frail that the upheaval of an evacuation could really compromise his health.  Out of my control and vulnerability are words that come to my mind.  So, I pray for God's mercy and protection on the ones I love.

The storms in our life
This had me thinking about the storms in our life: illness, loss of loved ones and financial difficulty. Maybe it's one of those ordinary days when you battle with the printer to print the document you so carefully prepared for an important meeting.  Or you struggle to bathe, dress and feed the children before going to church or school. Or the roof leaks and the car breaks down. It can all be happening at the same time and can leave you feeling open, vulnerable and beaten down. This past year has seen me facing some difficult storms.  And as I look back over this time I recognise a spiritual battle going on.  At times I wondered if I would be beaten and wiped out for good.

Spiritual warfare
Earlier this year I attended the Friends International staff conference.  This year we learned about the spiritual forces that are at work in our world and what many of the international students we meet and disciple are dealing with as they seek to follow Christ.  I listened to personal stories from Chinese students who had been involved in ancestry worship and of the superstitions and practices in some cultures.  If I am discipling a student from such a background then it should not be too surprising if I encounter spiritual warfare.  I believe the Bible teaches us the importance of not being passive or dismissive but to recognise it for what it is and to be reminded that 'greater is He who is in me then he who is in the world'.  Jesus has already won the battle against Satan by shedding His blood on the cross and I can claim that at any time.


Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Ephesians 6:11-13


The importance of prayer
That is why I make it a priority to start my day with prayer and to meet together with others for cooperate prayer at church and prayer breakfasts.  The longer I am involved in this ministry the more I cherish the prayers of my prayer partners. If you receive my prayer newsletters I want to thank you for taking the time to read them and for your daily prayers. Without your prayers I am vulnerable to the storms.


Today I visited the Bournemouth beach as I often do to have a talk with God.  As I gazed west across the horizon, my mind went back to the little Bible college where I surrendered to God's calling.  With tears in my eyes I prayed that God would keep His hand of protection over them as they continue to inspire and equip young people to 'Go and make disciples of all nations'.



No comments:

Post a Comment